[pure-silver] Re: Kodak Film

  • From: afterswift@xxxxxxx
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 05:21:01 -0500

  Hi Everyone,

 The variability of film technology, I think, makes everyone at Kodak cautious.
First, a large market for film still exists, if not for papers and consumer
darkroom supplies.
 Second, there is a huge number of quality film cameras owned by consumers and
professionals. Third, the only way to produce a negative is through film; and
many
  consumers and professionals need a negative backup or prefer the security of
a negative. Fourth, film has an inherent quality and character that digital can
not duplicate, only imitate rather obviously. Fifth, developments in film
research may produce an ease of use and resolution that are unique to film and
impessive enough to drive up demand for film. Sixth, in a global economy film
can have a viable economic base. I don't think Kodak will ignore these
dimensions of the future of film.

 Perhaps, for the sake of Wall Street, Kodak might organize its film arm as a
separate corporation or brand, much as GM established distinct divisions for
Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, etc. But even that is doubtful, since photography
through film or digital is emblematic of Kodak.

 Ironically, Kodak's presence as a film producer could be a matter of how
successful Kodak is in its other businesses.

 Bob R