[pure-silver] Re: It's my turn to ask a question ;-)

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:05:14 -0600

>Hi !
>My C330 has it's leatherette going south.
>Unfortunatelly, the glue they used sticks to the camera, and to the=20
>leatherette. By eye, it looks like rubber cement "Neoprene glue". Do =
>you have a
>non destructive way to clean it ? And a proper glue to=20
>stick it back in position ?
>Thanks a lot in advance !

I have a booklet here called "Photo Equipment Restoration" a
Photographic Mini-Manual from Petersen Publishing from 1973. On
recementing, it says:

 "Pliobond, a reclaimed rubber based product, became a favorite with
repairmen shortly after its introduction. Although useful for many
purposes, it contains a highly volatile solvent that's not especially
good for the leather and it's difficult to clean up once it has dried."

"Two other glues seem to be more popular: contact cements and white
glue, of which several formulas are available. The contact cements are
fast and certain, sometimes too much so, because the placements of the
pieces to be glued has to be almost perfect wen they are joined. For a
moment or two after contact, you can make some correction, providing
it's not too great. For this reason, many prefer the white glues since
they allow more leeway in application and, unlike contact cements, they
offer easier cleanup. But this slower drying quality can also prove to
be a disadvantage in some situations. And they do not resist moisture as
does contact cement. Since white glues will not stick to all surfaces
(especially non-porous ones, such as polished metal), a test is
recommended before covering the entire surface on which your working"

"To make a perfect bond between body and covering, apply the glue with a
brush in a thin, continuous layer to one surface of the two to be
joined. Let it thicken to a slightly tacky condition; then apply
sufficient pressure to squeeze out excess glue while making an even
contact over the entire area. Keep the pressure constant until the glue
set is strong enough to hold the covering and body from separating...."

"Once the covering has been stuck down, it helps to use some form of
clamp; spring-type clothespins work well if the area on which you're
working will allow their use. ...However, used caution in clamping or
you'll leave an impression in the leather that will remain after the
clamp has been removed. A thin cardboard placed between leather and
clamps is a good idea to prevent unwanted impressions."

-Peter