[pure-silver] Re: Is the list dead??

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 08:49:45 -0700

At 07:46 AM 3/13/2008, you wrote:
One more Cyclist/Photographer here - although I rarely
mix the two hobbies.  I commute to/from work on a
bicycle, which is a 30 mile round trip, and often
carry an old canon rangefinder on the back of my
bike....

--- "Dana H. Myers" <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The combination of bicycling and photography goes back to the origins of the bicycle. Several manufacturers made "cycle" cameras, light weight (comparatively) cameras meant to be carried on one's bicycle. The Folmer & Schwing company, most famous for Graphic and Graflex cameras got into the camera business through bicycles. The company was originally formed to make gas lighting fixtures. When electric lighting began to supplant gas they got into the bicycle business. They then began to supply cameras to go with the bicycles. Initially they sold cameras made by others but after a short time began to make their own. When the bicycle craze died out F&S continued as a camera manufacturer.