[pure-silver] Re: Ideas On How To Get Ortho-Like Skies

  • From: "Kurt J. Griffin" <kjg@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 14:29:17 -0700

I would love to duplicate the dark black skies one sees in images shot
on the old ortho films.  I have tried many filters (orange, red, tri-red),
many films (TX, PX, TMX,BPF, FP4) and developers (D-76, HC-110, PMK, T-Max),
and I never quite manage to get what I want.

I even tried using Ilford's ortho film, but unless I'm doing something
wrong in development (possible, since I only glanced at the data sheets),
the stuff is so grainy as to be unusable.

Ideas anyone?   I shoot a great deal of winter snow and summer landscape
stuff and would really love to have that black sky behind it all.

Tim Daneliuk     tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ortho film is not sensitive to red light. The even older "ordinary" emulsion was sensitive only to blue. This led to the very high tone skies typical of old landscapes with little distinction between clouts & sky.

For dark skies, one needs to filter out blue. Yellow --> orange --> Red for increasing effect. IR film would be the step beyond that.

My own favorite combination is either dark yellow or light red filter with TMX developed in XTOL. This gives a very nice, smooth tone to the sky. For contrast (pardon the pun):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kjgriffin/4094012323
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kjgriffin/4101321601

--Kurt