[pure-silver] Re: How Critical Is Wash Water Temperature

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 11:53:23 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Laurence Cuffe" <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2014 4:10 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: How Critical Is Wash Water Temperature

I used to be quite precise about this following advice in various technical books, but I gradually grew more casual about the wash water temperature as I found it did not seem to make a difference. This came back and bit me when I tried to develop an image on a glass plate, and there was about a 10 degree difference in the wash water temperature. The image gelatin just peeled off the glass plate. This turns out to be one of the classic ways to develop Reticulation. I don't know that this is what caused it, but my I felt that this behavior was probably the reason that that advice was given so often in older books.
All the best
Laurence Cuffe

At the time the books of the 1930s were written the emulsions used were much softer and I am not sure the binders were that good. It was easy to cause reticulation and frilling. More recent emulsions are very hard and are made partially with materials other than gelatin. I have tried to delibrately reticulate negatives with very little success. On modern film it takes virtually boiling water to accomplish it. But any sort of old fashioned emulsion is quite vulnerable.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL