[pure-silver] Re: How Critical Is Wash Water Temperature

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 16:23:45 -0400

On 04/06/2014 02:45 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
> My fix-wash regimen looks like this:
>
> - 1 min fix in Ilford Hypam or Rapid Fix
> - 5 min rinse in the water coming off my print washer + a small stream
> of fresh water
> - 5+ min in a PermaWash/KRST clearing/toning batch
> - 1 hour wash in an Eco Washer
>

> So ... given that ... how touchy is the water temp for that final 1 hour
> wash?
> I know 68F is nominal, but if I wash at 48F, does that really matter?

Since you use the PermaWash, wash water temperature matters less than
had you omitted it. If you process at 68F, the shock of that much colder
water might frill it  although the rapid fix (if used with the hardener)
should be OK. Why not process a few sheets and test them for adequate
fixing and adequate washing. That way you would have the results for
your own equipment and methods.

I never got that short a fix to work right. It took me about 2 minutes
with continuous agitation in each of two baths to do that. And by then,
I gave up on the Ilford fixing measures. I usually used Kodak Elite Fine
Art paper in those days when I did the testing. I wish I could get that
stuff these days.

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 16:15:02 up 6 days, 21:13, 2 users, load average: 4.63, 4.68, 4.70