[pure-silver] Re: Has anybody tried the new Adox Pan 25?

  • From: Timo Geusch <timo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:45:59 +0100

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 15:26 -0700, Jim Brick wrote:
> What's the difference between Adox Pan 25 and Efke 25 ?

According to the bumpf on http://www.retrophotographic.com/

"The PAN 25 film is a modern technology film with a very fine grain
emulsion coated on a clear PET base for archival permanence and
structural stability. A highly effective anti-halation layer is coated
between the base and emulsion while an NC (anti-curl) layer is coated on
the rear of the base to improve handling and film transport in the
camera. Spectral sensitivity: 400 – 650nm. Developing times for most
fine-grain developers are 4-6 minutes. D-76/ ID-11 Stock: 5 min."

I've only ever tried one of the Efke films (Efke 50, I believe) and
wasn't too happy with it, mainly due to my hamfistedness and the fact
that the emulsion seemed to be very soft when wet; Still, the Pan 25
seems to be a different film - certainly handles in a different fashion
as I don't think I grew less clumsy in the past year.

As to the picture quality (of the film, not my photos...), I can't
really say yet. I'll know more once I ran it through my scanner to get
my "virtual contact sheet". Looking at the negs, I'd expect fairly
contrasty and very sharp pictures with good tonal range- it looks like
this is one film that needs development to be spot on, though. This is
of course not being helped by the absence of development data for it,
although my current guess of 6.25 minutes @ 20C with APH 09 at 1+50
seems to have worked OK, even a bit soft from a tonal range point of
view. 6 minutes @ 20C at 1+40 was a bit too much for my liking and looks
like it'd need printing at very soft grades. Mind you, the light out in
the Nevada desert at 5000 ft didn't help...