[pure-silver] Re: HCA (was dichroic fog)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 10:46:04 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim MacKenzie" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 8:18 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: HCA (was dichroic fog)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 8:14 AM

I have never observed any problem not even a faint cloudiness except
when I attempted to save the solution. It's cheaper to omit the other
two ingredients. A mixture of sulfite and bisulfite has been used for
decades by thousands of people as a wash aid without problem. I don't
think that I'm being irresponsible only frugal in my advice. :-)
===
You could always run a residual fixer test. That would answer the question unequivocally.

I plan to make my own HCA for fibre printing (I already got the ingredients to do so). I don't use an HCA for film anymore because I use an all-alkaline process and the wash times are reasonable when you go all-alkaline.

Jim

A residual fixer test is a good idea anyway. However, the sequestering agents are not there because they affect the hypo clearing function but rather to prevent the deposit of mineral compounds created by the wash aid from minerals in the water or carried over alum hardener.

---