[pure-silver] Re: Gigabitfilm -> digital / film resolution

  • From: "Jim MacKenzie" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:09:36 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Koch, Gerald" <gkoch02@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 9:01 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Gigabitfilm

> 3) Lens faults are emphasized because of the lack of grain in the
> negatives.  In fact, unless you have a really high quality lens, your
> prints will appear less sharp than if you had used a conventional film
> such as Efke 25.

This has always made me ponder how digital SLR images could possibly be
better than 35mm when the photographers are only using a portion of the
image circle and only getting a proportion of the resolution of the lens.
(Different story with full-frame cameras I suppose.)  If the digital
photographers are right, then 35mm film can't possibly record all the
resolution of a lens and photographers may be overpaying for quality.  If
film can record the resolution, then digital photographers are missing
something because their sensors can't possibly outresolve film using the
same lenses.

Jim