[pure-silver] Formulating FD-72 Fogging Developer

  • From: "Pat Foster" <foster12158@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:29:54 -0400

I'm interested in processing black and white slides and would like to use a fogging developer (as in the Kodak T-Max kit) rather than light reversal exposure.

The published formulations for FD-72, a fogging developer evidently used by a number of people for movie film, is a mixture of sodium dithionite (aka sodium hydrosulfite) , cysteine, and sodium metaborate.

I have several questions concerning obtaining the sodium dithionite:

1) Does anyone know a source of small quantities of sodium dithionite at a reasonable price?

2) A potential source of sodium dithionite would appear to be RIT Color Remover. This is available virtually everywhere, even Wal-Mart.

The MSDS for RIT Color Remover inicates that is a mixture of sodium dithionite, sodium carbonate, sodium metasilicate, and EDTA. Has anyone used the Color Remover as a fogging developer? Does anyone have information on the weight percent dithionite in the RIT COlor Remover (or the Carbona Color Remover which seems to be a similar mixture)? Potentially, it would seem that the Color Remover could be used directly with just the addition of some borax to adjust pH.

I would also appreciate information on alternative fogging developers which produce a black and white, rather a than brown or sepia, image.