[pure-silver] Re: Followup 2x3 Speed Graphic Question

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 13:38:17 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Daneliuk" <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2011 11:19 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Followup 2x3 Speed Graphic Question

I have pretty much finished cleaning, rehabbing, and upgrading the 2x3
Speed I bought several weeks ago.

However, I have one vexing problem: When I use a cable release, it does not reliably fire the shutter (A Kodak Supermatic). This is not a shutter problem, it is a "The force of the cable release is not being transmitted to the shutter release lever" problem. I fiddled with the adjustment on the cable release assembly on the front standard.
This made it better, but not perfect.

If I remove the lens, the shutter release mechanism on the front standard (as well as the push button release on the body) exhibit full travel. But if I push up slightly on plunger that releases the shutter (at the front standard), that bit of resistance prevents
the full range of motion for shutter release.

Subjectively, the shutter release lever on the lens does not feel particularly hard to push, but it's enough to prevent the full downward range of motion of the shutter release plunger mounted on the front
standard.

Is this a well known problem?  Is there a fix?
--

I'm not sure I understand, If the shutter if off the camera does it work properly? Note that Kodak and Ilex shutters have straight sided cable release sockets while Compur and most other European shutters have tapered sockets and the cable releases have tapered threads. Either will fit the other but may not be held securely or fit all the way in. The paddle from the body release should be adjusted so that the shutter tripping lever is free since any pressure on it may prevent the shutter from cocking correctly. There is a set screw on it to adjust its position. If the shutter won't trip when off the camera there is something wrong with it. Just now I can't remember exactly what the end of the cable release pushes on in the Supermatic.