[pure-silver] Re: Flash settings for Mamiya 330C

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:08:38 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russell Kunz" <ruelkunz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 6:04 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Flash settings for Mamiya 330C

> I am planning a first time portrait sitting using a 330C
> and two
> standard mono flashes for lighting.
>
> My question concerns the camera's synch settings.  Seems
> that an M
> setting is correct for "M" type tubes and an X setting is
> appropriate
> for "flash".  This is according to the user manual.
>
> Could someone clarify what is a M type tube,  and advise
> which setting
> is appropriate for the monos.
>
> Thanks in advance.  Russ.

   M is for medium delay (10ms) flash BULBS. X is for
strobe. The M setting fires the flash bulb 20ms before the
shutter reaches full open. X trips the flash just as the
shutter comes wide open. If you use M for strobe it will be
all over before the shutter opens.
   FWIW, flash bulbs came in three delay classes: Class M,
20ms delay, covered most of the small and medium size bulbs.
Class-F, 5ms delay, used for small bulbs. These can also be
used with X synch for slow shutter speeds. Class-S, longer
than 20mm, very large bulbs intended for use with the
shutter open. These bulbs were mostly used in studio
reflectors in place of photo-flood lamps for very high light
output. There was also a gass filled bulb called a Speed
Midget, to be used with either X or F synch. Flash bulbs are
still available new and lots of old ones are still around.
Flash bulbs put out an enormous amount of light in a very
small package.

---