[pure-silver] Re: Enlarger lenses

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 13:54:57 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clifford Brown" <clip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 4:15 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Enlarger lenses

Richard, my memory will not allow retrieval of all the lenses I tested, but the following are some that I still have, the others were either disposed of or returned to their owners. The El-Nikkor 50mm 1;2.8, Schneider Componon 1:5.6/80mm (used for slide copying) Comparon1:4.5/50mm, E.Rokkor 1:4.5/50mm. Your comment on field angle is interesting. I had a friend who collected enlarging lenses like some women collect jewelry, he was amazed at the results I got from a Mayer-Optik Lydith 3.5/30mm camera lens. Being a wide angle it was marvelous for large prints. In my earlier years I used a Zeiss Biotar that came with my camera that was also excellent as an enlarging lens. The Russian copy of the Biotar, for the Zenith camera would also be worth a try. The first El-Nikkor I bought was rejected and I was a bit put off, but felt obliged to try again; in the event the second turned out to be an excellent lens. The most disappointing was the illustrious name referred to in my earlier post, it was not all sweetness and Leitz! I can only repeat, f8 is a great leveler.

Clifford.
Somerset UK.

Thanks Clifford. Well, you confirmed my suspicion that modern lenses are still subject to the same sort of manufacturing variations that have always plagued the ilk. The Comparon was Schneider's economy lens, not to be confused with the Componon. I have an Enlarging Rokkor, its an excellent lens, I think a Heliar type similar to the Kodak Enlarging Ektar. I am a but surprized by the performance of the Biotar since fast lenses tend to be more critical of distance than slower ones. The same for wide angle lenses. One problem with WA enlarging lenses is light fall off. I have a 135mm Componon I use for 4x5 and have to burn corners. If I could I would use the next longer lens for each size, i.e., 75mm for 35mm negatives, 105mm for Rollei negs, and 205mm for 4x5. That takes a long projection throw.