[pure-silver] Emulsion hardening for reversal processing of 35mm B&W film

  • From: Jordan Wosnick <jwosnick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:58:49 -0500

Hi all

I have been trying out some reversal processing of conventional
B&W film (usually Ilford Pan F Plus) lately. I have been having
real problems with damage to the emulsion -- it becomes very soft
and 'slimy' (for lack of a better term) during the processing and
makes for damaged images.

I am quite certain that this damage occurs during the bleach step
(I am using a permanganate bleach). Bleach is hard on emulsions,
and I have also noticed that the 'sliming' tends to be most
visible in the highlights of the finished positive (i.e., where
the most bleaching action has occurred). I am using
hand-inversion in regular stainless steel tanks and agitating
quite conservatively.

I would obviously like to avoid this damage. My guess is that I
will need a hardening step somewhere in the process, but I fear
that using hardener at the very end will be too late to save the
images. Has anyone had this kind of result with reversal
processing? Any tips on where in the process to insert the
hardening step? (i.e., before the first dev? just before
bleaching?) And suggestions for an easy-to-mix hardening
solution? I do have some E6 stabilizer on hand here at home,
which I believe has some hardening functions.

Thanks for any and all advice

Jordan