[pure-silver] Re: Emulsion hardening for reversal processing of 35mm B&W film

  • From: Jordan Wosnick <jwosnick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:25:12 -0500

Nick Zentena wrote:

>   I think slime means alkaline.

It could be that the sliminess is being formed in the first
developer step, which is alkaline, but the bleach step itself is
acidic. I do know from Pat Gainer's observations that very strong
oxidizers (chlorine bleach, for example) will dissolve the
emulsion right off of the film.

>       I think E-6 stabilizer is similar to C-41 stabilizer. Basically
> water,photo-flo and formaldehyde. The Formaldehyde slows/stops fading but
> it's not a hardner.

I have read elsewhere that formaldehyde has hardening functions
due to chemical cross-linking of the gelatin. I will double-check
that.

>       Maybe a different bleach if you think that's the issue? Which formula
> are you
> using for this?

Permanganate acidified with sodium bisulfate. This is a fairly
standard B&W reversal bleach.

Jordan