[pure-silver] Re: Dry Mounting REALLY permanent?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 19:06:59 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Schofield" <tomschofield@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:04 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Dry Mounting REALLY permanent?

I was taught to preheat the mat board by putting it in the press before mounting it.

I suspect that mounting in the Ansel Adams tradition used higher temp tissue with the fiber based paper. Maybe the problems are more endemic to the lower temp tissues, but I do not consider myself an expert!

Tom

Please see my post, _all_ components except the mounting tissue need to be dryed out in the press before mounting. The release tissue does not need to be dryed since it is non-absorbent but is used over the emulsion side of the print to _prevent_ the gelatin from drying out too much. The main reason prints and films curl is the differential shrinkage of the emulsion and support. The emulsion tends to expand when moist and shrink when dry. The support also changes size somewhat but not nearly as much as the gelatin. By drying with release tissue in contact with the emulsion side and absorbent paper in contact with the support the moisture in the two is equalized so that the curl is minimized. The mounting boards do not tend to curl so much and probably do not really need drying out in the press but it does not hurt them. Properly dry mounted prints will still tend to curl under extreme moisture conditions but not as much as prints mounted by other methods and the prints will not separate from the mount. Of course one can mount on very stiff material so that there is no curl at all. If humidity is a serious problem the prints can be coated with a protective lacquer. Kodak used to make a special lacquer but I think Krylon Archival Varnish will work and can be removed. It also has a UV filter in it.