[pure-silver] Re: Dry Mounting REALLY permanent?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 23:38:38 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Pure Silver" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:17 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Dry Mounting REALLY permanent?

Thanks, Robert, Richard & Ken, for your responses to my query about "wrinkling" release paper (dry mount pressure was too tight, I discovered). With trial/error/tweaking, I got beautifully & firmly mounted prints this evening, but further testing of the bond uncovered a brand new query.

Prior to this, I had been using a dry, pressure-sensitive adhesive (Studio-Tac) for my photo collages. I live in a *very* damp climate, w/my studio & display space in the basement. When I showed some work in a dryer climate last winter, a horribly dry/overheated place, edge separation of the prints from the matboard substrate became increasingly evident over the course of the month. (Luckily for me it was a sparsely attended venue!)

An ingenious friend who saw the show, a former pre-digital pro photog known for painstaking building of his own sets, etc., suggested I test the dry mounted prints for edge separation, in an effort to avoid this situation in the future. The results were not good. Per his suggestion, I put the drymounted prints (two 11x14's, butted up against each other on a long, narrow strip of matboard-a typical collage composition) into my homemade film drying cabinet, a well-sealed plywood box with a hairdryer nozzle sticking thru a hole in the bottom of the box.

I turned the 1500W hairdryer to the "hot" and "high" settings, placed the short edge of the board on the floor of the cabinet, closed the door, and let it run for about 15 minutes. The bottom 1/2 of the board (closest to the hairdryer) curled away from the print, almost completely delaminating the print from the board. The top half fared much better, with the bond failing only on the edge closest to the hairdryer.

I assume I subjected this sample to extreme conditions....or *did* I? I keep remembering that overheated dry room last winter, enough to make one's skin crawl, and wonder whether the hairdryer in the cabinet was *really* much more extreme?

I'd welcome anyone's experiences/opinions, I have 2 pieces in a show coming up, and would be mortified if this happened to me again throughout the run of the show, since it is a much more important venue.

Thanks for saving my arse, AGAIN, folks!!

Scratching head,
Adrienne Moumin

Adrienne, Los Angeles has a wide variety of weather ranging from very dry desert heat (113F downtown a few weeks ago) to sub-tropical with 90% humidity and 90F temperatures. I have dry mounted for years using low temperature "color mount" tissue meant for prints on resin coated paper or plastic base. I have _never_ had a print delaminate. Further, I have some prints done when I was a teenager in the 1950's which were mounted with Kodak dry mounting tissue using a clothes iron, they are still firmly mounted. You _can_ get some times of dry mounting tissue to come apart by applying heat, this stuff is meant to do that so that conservators can get at the prints but most dry mounting tissue is very difficult to get apart. For collage of material other than photographic paper use the same technique I described for photos but test to make sure the media will take the heat and not allow the adhesive to bleed through. There is special dry mounting tissue for art materials if the regular stuff does not work. For mounting set the press for the temperature recommended by the tissue manufacturer. If you are uncertain of the temperature of the press you can test it using thermometer slips or just stick the end of a good probe type thermometer into the press and close it for a couple of minutes. Since the heat must penetrate the padding, etc., the temperature at the print may be lower than the press surfaces, at leat for a time. You can determine the correct time by experiment but it should run in the vicinity of two to five minutes. Somewhat longer does no damage provided the press is not too hot. The procedure of drying out before mounting is very important as is the cooling under the flat weight. This last is probably the key to getting good, flat, results since the adhesive will stay plastic until cool. Dry mounting itself is almost impervious to climatic conditions, the prints may turn to sludge but will still be attached to the matte.