[pure-silver] Re: Death Valley Photography

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 19:40:51 -0500

"Agnes" <frcontrone@xxxxxxxxx>

 3.  Don't get a styrofoan cooler for the DV trip.

Styrofoam is as good an insulation as any - if it is
thick.  The thicker the better.  Thin cheesy foam will be
no good at all.  Aluminum foil on the outside will keep the
sun's heat off it.  If you are going to have extra insulation
wrapped around it keep the foil (or a space blanket) on the
outside.

 4.  Forget about it getting dirty, go with light tan or white
[clothing]

Absolutely

8. Sit in your vehicle if possible whiel waiting for the right light. Under an umbrella in those environs (just like where I live) you can sunburn just as bad from the reflections.

I guess I haven't sat under an umbrella in the desert long
enough (and it has always been morning or evening).  The last
time I was in DV I had a black car with a black interior and
if I ran the airconditioner the engine boiled over.  There
isn't a good universal solution.

I have gotten sunburn in the mountains from the reflections off the
ice and snow.  Had Nivea plastered over my face and all that -- so
I got sunburn in my nostrils.

11. If you don't care what you look like, periodically dump some water on your head under a good hat.

Good advice.  If you get heatstroke -- feel confused and nauseous --
get into the shade (on the breezy side if there is one) and wet all
your clothing down.  The evaporation in the dry air will cool you quickly.

As Agnes mentioned: a few bandanas are mandatory.

You may want to pick up a case of Gatorade/generic 'sports drink'
at Wal-Mart or Costco.

etc., etc., etc. ...

And be sure to be on guard against heffalumps and bandersnatches.
Always know where your towel is.  Don't panic.

Nothing like preparing a vicarious adventure.

==
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
Cleveland, Ohio 44121