[pure-silver] Re: DDX Woes

  • From: <genej2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 10:48:50 -0400

> This vitamin C/Phenidone/glycol developer has been evolving with time, and
> this is the last iteration I used. The innovations at the time were the
> discovery that kbr reduced base fog nicely, and that the use of sodium
> sulfite and borax as ph modifiers made for nicer grain in most films.

Concentrate:

9.0 g Vit C powder
.25g Phenidone
.25g potassium bromide

Dissolve the ingredients above one at a time in 100ml car antifreeze (I used
prestone) heated in the microwave to 150-200 deg F. This is the concentrate,
which will last a long time.

At time of use, dilute it 1:50 with:

2TBSP sodium sulfite
1/2 tsp borax
1000ml h20

Do not save the borax/sulfite solution.  Make it when you use it.

Good luck.  all I will say is "it works for me"

Develop with times between d76 1:1 and D76 straight. I'm currently right in
between.
> From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2006/04/08 Sat AM 06:36:50 EDT
> To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [pure-silver] Re: DDX Woes
>
> <quote who=genej2@xxxxxxx, date=[07/04/2006 18:45]/>
> >> Justin,
> >
> > I went to making my own developers a long time ago and have never
> > regretted it.  Ryuji has made some great recipes (I used to use DS-2
> > on TMAX) and there are tons of recipes all over the net.  For the
> > last couple years, I have used different versions of a recipe loosely
> > based on experiments by Patrick Gainer, and further developed by the
> > gang on APUG, that calls for dissolving phenidone, Potassium bromide,
> > and vitamin C in glycol to make a long-lasting concentrate that is
> > diluted with water, sodium sulfite, and Borax at time of use (one
> > shot developer).  It is very nice with a good balance of fine grain,
> > good tones, and full rated speed. The clincher for me is the
> > concntrate that lasts for a very long time (more than 2 years for
> > me). I do use Rodinal on Efke 25, but that's the only store-bought
> > developer I still use. I've had no developer problems since switching
> > to homemade, except for once when I got distracted and forgot to add
> > the ph increasers.
>
>      Hmm, sounds interesting. Where could I find the recipe, starting
> dev times etc for this?

> --
> Justin F. Knotzke
> jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx