[pure-silver] Cooling it Down-A Report

  • From: "Ben R. McRee" <ben.mcree@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 09:22:46 -0400

All I can say is WOW! My 1% solution of sodium carbonate and benzotriazole (10g of each in a liter water) had a dramatic effect on the image tone of Forte Polygrade V fiber. Adding only 10ml of this solution to a liter of working strength Dektol (1:2) shifted the tone from decidedly warm to cold cold cold. Putting one of these cold prints next to an Ilford Multigrade fiber print of the same image makes the Ilford look like a warmtone paper! In fact the result is a bit more blue-black than I was looking for, and I will try starting with 4 or 5ml next time.

Related notes:

I had to increase exposure time for prints in the doctored developer by roughly 25% to get equivalent density. I assume this is normal? Perhaps I should have extended development instead?

The doctored developer had no effect on either the image tone or density of Ilford Multigrade RC, the other paper I printed with during the session. No adjustments necessary here, which makes life easier.

I had no trouble getting the chemicals to go into solution when mixing (I did heat the water to 125F).

--Ben

Thanks to all who have chimed on with suggestions (and I'm always open for more!)

I now have some benzotirazole and sodium carbonate, and will give it a try with Dektol this weekend. I'll report back when I see what develops.

--Ben