[pure-silver] Re: Cooling it Down

  • From: BertS <aasainz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 16:02:00 -0400

Koch, Gerald wrote:

Any type plastic bottle is suitable for benzotriazole or carbonate
solutions.  In fact plastic is preferable to glass for carbonate
solutions.

Some people experience problems dissolving benzotrizole.  Use 50 C (125
F) water to get it into solution easily.

Diluting Dektol beyond 1+2 will warm the print tone and this is not what
you want.  You may get better results from a Phenidone based developer
since this developing agent produces a cooler tone.

Jerry

You can dissolve benzotriazole in isopropyl (sp?) alcohol. The solution can be made quite concentrated. I have dissolved up to 5g in 100cc of standard isopropyl but I think it can be dissolved to a much higher concentration.

eg:

isopropyl alcohol     75 cc
benzotriazole          5 g
water to make        100 cc

This is standard drugstore rubbing alcohol, just make sure it does not contain anything else. No oil of wintergreen, camphor, etc.

One cc will give you .05g of benzotriazole.