[pure-silver] Re: Colour paper emulsion in bottles ?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 13:23:40 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "K W Hart" <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 11:23 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Colour paper emulsion in bottles ?

I make "faux-paintings" from my portraits by peeling apart standard color RC paper prints and mounting the now-thinner print onto artist's canvas board. I soak the print overnight, lay it wet face down on a clean, smooth surface, and peel the backing layer off at a corner. I start rolling the backing onto a wooden dowel diagonally across the print. I keep a wet sponge handy to keep the print soaked. Usually, I'll have to scrub the back of the emulsion layer to get more of the backing off. I use a thinned white glue to mount the photo onto artist's canvas board under pressure in a dry-mount press with low heat for maybe an hour. After it thoroughly dries, I brush-stroke the portrait with a clear varnish. Normally when I do this, I make an extra print- it's not uncommon to ruin the print in the process of separating it from the backing.

Ken Hart

This is about the method I was thinking of in my post. I'm glad to see that it still works and have some practical detail. The person asking about this probably wants to have the paper texture show through. I can see that it would work for canvas but is the transferred layer thin enough to show texture of hand-made paper? AFAIK platinum/paladium or salt prints are about the only ones showing the paper texture but I am no expert.