[pure-silver] Re: Colour paper emulsion in bottles ?

  • From: "K W Hart" <kwhart1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:23:16 -0500

I make "faux-paintings" from my portraits by peeling apart standard color RC paper prints and mounting the now-thinner print onto artist's canvas board. I soak the print overnight, lay it wet face down on a clean, smooth surface, and peel the backing layer off at a corner. I start rolling the backing onto a wooden dowel diagonally across the print. I keep a wet sponge handy to keep the print soaked. Usually, I'll have to scrub the back of the emulsion layer to get more of the backing off. I use a thinned white glue to mount the photo onto artist's canvas board under pressure in a dry-mount press with low heat for maybe an hour. After it thoroughly dries, I brush-stroke the portrait with a clear varnish. Normally when I do this, I make an extra print- it's not uncommon to ruin the print in the process of separating it from the backing.

Ken Hart

From: <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>

Snoopy,

What about Polaroid emulsion transfer (You'll shoot a Polaroid (thin
about 8*10) you somehow detach the emulsion from the base, and transfer
it to the paper)

There are only 2 problems: availability of Polaroid materials and (thus)
the price)

No idea if you can lift the emulsion of a standard colour print..

Good luck,

Cor