[pure-silver] Re: Biking and photography

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 19:33:30 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 4/3/08, Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Biking and photography
> To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thursday, April 3, 2008, 6:41 PM

Well I don't know if there was a solution that has been lost, but it would be
interesting to see what they used.  Cameras back then were probably more
fragile and probably more of a do it yourself thing anyway.

I thought about fiberglass, but the impact resistance had me a bit concerned.
It would have also been a complete learning curve, which for now I have other
things I needed to spend my time on more than this project.  I probably could
have reduced a lot of the weight of the wood and still kept the strength.

What really has me wanting to learn is something carbon fiber.  Light weight,
plenty strong and durable, but not cheap and I have no idea what I am doing
with that either.  For now wood and careful weight management seems to be the
key.  This one will be very easy to overload if not careful.

Hopefully someone knows. IF there were a failure some day, I would hope it
would be the seat post that would fail, not the tube in which the seat post is
inserted.

What is odd is I was beginning to wonder whether or not I was crazy trying to
go to so much trouble for a photo bike.  Listening to a podcast yesterday by
Brooks Jensen, editor of Lens Work publishing, talked about him buying a bike
and using it for photography.  Maybe the idea isn't so crazy after all.