[pure-silver] Biking and photography

  • From: Mark Blackwell <mblackwell1958@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 14:52:04 -0700 (PDT)

Well I thought Id pass on an update on my bid to safely carry camera gear on my
bike.

After exhausting many other options, there really was only one practical one.
Build it yourself.  I would have liked to have found someone that would have
welded me a box out of aluminum, but the cost was just too high to be feasible.
 Nothing I could find would work, though I did find a few things which might
work for other uses.  Stopped in an army surplus store and one of the best was
an empty 50 cal ammo can that is waterproof, solid outside and a good size.
Two big problems were it was just a bit too narrow for the camera bodies to
ride like I wanted. They come in two sizes and might work very well for things
like film in a handle bar basket, but not for the cameras.

I ended up using a piece of 3/4 ply for the top an bottom that I had left over.
Sides were made of scrap 5 quarter decking which I also had left over.  If I
were to do it again and was buying, Id think hard about saving some weight and
using half inch.  If I ever wreck though I might be glad for three quarter.

Well I started out building the size I wanted.  If you have a touring or
comfort bike that can hard mount a rack that will hold 35lbs, you probably are
in good shape.  I have a full suspension mountain bike though with a 20 lbs
weight limit on the rack.  Once all the pieces were cut, I took them all to a
bathroom scale and to no surprise, I was way too heavy.  The lumber itself was
about 15 lbs.  I had to cut down the size until the weight was something I
could live with.  The outside wound up being about 10 x 16 inches.  Inside
without the padding that is to come is about 8 x 14 inches and 5 inches roughly
in depth.  Padding should add very little weight.  I have a foam insulation
that will go around the sides.  I have a foam for cushions I might use, but may
just use the insulation foam on the bottom too.  I plan to fill the gaps with
bubble wrap. Total weight should be between 11 and 12 lbs so I should have
about 8 pounds for gear.  Once its totally
 done if anyones is interested I will post a  final weight.

The hinges were just simply hinges that I again had laying around.  I bought a
half moon latch.  Its the type that locks your windows, and from my choices it
seemed the least likely to jar open on impact.  I may add another stronger
hinge, but its ok for now.  I hinged the lid along the side with the seat.
That seemed the most logical, but it may not be the best.  Still its definitely
something I can live with for a while to see.

I put eyelets in the sides and front an back should anything oversized and
light need to be tied on to the so called trunk and will provide a place to tie
a cover down in a rain storm.  The only place it will be able to leak is at the
lid.  Everywhere else is caulked.

I mounted this mess using carriage screws through the bottom.  Underneath the
rack there was another piece of wood which the screws went through.  Wing nuts
pulled the trunk and that second piece of wood together on to the rack
Tightened down, it should stay put.

First ride was without anything in it.  It was on a smooth surface and it
seemed secure.  Next test is going to be tomorrow with padding and some weight
in it, but you can bet it won't be with my Canon L glass in it yet LOL.