[pure-silver] Re: Arista VC papers

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 03:00:38 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Arista VC papers
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:31:38 -0700

>    At first I thought it might be due to an incorporated
> developer layer but on second thought don't see how that can
> be since it is isolated from the support by the plastic
> coating. So is everyting else that I can think of that could
> get into the paper. Perhaps Dave Valvo knows. The color in
> my prints is very uniform, not blotchy, and, to be clear,
> the back of the paper is the same color.

Incorporated developer may be able to diffuse through the polyethylene
layer. But was it developer incorporated type product?

In resin coated paper products, quality of titanium white pigment in
the polyethylene layer is very important. Even apparently simple step
like grinding down the pigment to specified particle size is very
critical to the overall quality of the resin coated paper. Plus, there
are radical chain breaking agents (a kind of antioxidants) in the
plastic together with the titanium dioxide. Wrong kind of antioxidants
may also discolor.

It may be counterproductive trying to make sense out of what failed in
your paper. There are so many things that can go wrong and apparently
not all plants have them all figured out.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."