[pure-silver] Re: Argento-ferrotype prints

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 17:19:44 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry Lock" <harrylock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 8:36 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Argento-ferrotype prints

> Hi All
>
> This is probably not strictly black & white, but can
> someone tell me what
> this type of print is and where I can get more info on
> producing them.
>
> I saw some in a gallery and they were wonderful.
>
> Cheers for now
>
> Harry

     Ferrotype is often used to refer to prints dried on a
glossy plate, the Brits call this glazing. However, there is
an old process called Ferrotypey. It was originally a wet
plate process for direct postives. A wet plate type
collodion "emulsion" is coated on a black enamelled metal
plate. The coating is thin and when exposed and developed
the silver image appears as a white positive image on a
black background. I am not sure if the familar "Tintype"
process is the same. Certainly a similar result can be
gotten by coating a gelatin dry emulsion on an enamelled
plate. I suspect that query to the Alternative Processes
list would bring forth much information and instructions.

---