[pure-silver] Re: Advice on an 150mm enlarging lens.

  • From: Martin Jangowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 06:45:50 +0100

Am 13.02.2012 00:20, schrieb Bogdan Karasek:
Hello,

Since most of the group use enlargers and hence, have some knowledgeable about enlarger lenses., I come seeking your advice.

I shoot B+W , and been shooting 4x5 for the past 2 years, but more and more now. 35mm seems like a submiature. Right now, I use an Omega D2v and a SK Componon 135/5.6 and a SK Xenar 150/4.5.

A SK Componon 150/5.6 is available. Should I get the Componon 150 to replace the Xenar? The 150 is the one I use more often than the 135, so it would be my principle lens in that format.

A few years ago, I made a test with my Durst G139 and CLS1000 color head. I got an old enlarger with a chrome Componar 5.6/150 (SK tessar type enlarger lens) and decided to compare the lens with my Schneider Apo Componon HM 4/150. Using a sharp negative, I enlarged it to 40x50cm and compared the center and the edges with a Peak grain enlarger, both lenses stopped down two stops (f8 for the Apo and f11 for the Componar). Then I made two identical enlargements (no big deal with my RHD Analyzer).

To make it short: with the Peak, you'll see no difference at all from the center to about 2/3 to the edges. The edges show more curvature of field with the Componar. After adjusting the focus accordingly (perfect sharpness at about 1/2 from the center with slightly less sharpness in the center and the edges), I made the enlargements and showed them at a meeting with fellow B&W-photographers. No one was able to identify the Apo-enlargement in real life.... they are subtile different, but not really "better" or "worse".

No, I won't part with the Apo-Componon. I know that the (Apo, -S) Componon are better with very large or small enlargements. So I would get the Componon and forget about "better" enlargement lenses, it will be plenty good enough for everything.

Martin