[pure-silver] Re: Advice on an 150mm enlarging lens.

On 02/12/2012 09:04 PM, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
Bogdan Karasek wrote:
Hello,

Since most of the group use enlargers and hence, have some
knowledgeable about enlarger lenses., I come seeking your advice.

I shoot B+W , and been shooting 4x5 for the past 2 years, but more and
more now.  35mm seems like a submiature.   Right now, I use an Omega D2v
and  a SK Componon 135/5.6 and a SK Xenar 150/4.5.

A SK Componon 150/5.6 is available.     Should I get the Componon 150 to
replace the Xenar?   The 150 is the one I use more often than the 135,
so it would be my principle lens in that format.

I also have a Wollensak Velostigmat 162/4.5 that came with the
enlarger.  How does it compare to a Componon and Xenar?

Thanks for any comments.

Cheers, Bogdan

I have a Beseler 45MCRX with a cold light head. I use a Schneider
Componon-S 180mm f/5.6 most of the time. It is not quite short enough to
make full frame 11x14" prints, but since I do not compose right to the
edge of my negatives*, this works well. It would never make a 16"x20"
print. I have another Schneider Componon-S 150mm f/5.6 that will allow
prints almost 16"x20X, but artistically speaking, I have very few images
worth printing on that size paper, so I do not have a lot of experience
with that size.

With the exception of a 50mm El-Nikkor, I have nothing but Schneider
Componon and Componon-S lenses.  They have always delivered tack
sharp results.  Even my old chrome Componons are very fine lenses.

I use a 150mm Componon-S with a cone on an old, original Omega D-II
push up for 4x5 negs.  It has never failed me.  My past experience
with Wollensak has been they they are not remotely the lenses the
Schneiders are.  I have no experience with the Xenar.