[pure-silver] Re: Advice on an 150mm enlarging lens.

  • From: Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 06:09:19 -0800

At one time (in the mid-70s?), I believe that Vivitar was selling rebranded Schneider lenses. I own a 150mm Vivitar and it physically is a dead ringer for a Componon.

It is a very sharp lens and I have used it to make sharp prints for the last 30+ years.

Hello,

Since most of the group use enlargers and hence, have some knowledgeable about enlarger lenses., I come seeking your advice.

I shoot B+W , and been shooting 4x5 for the past 2 years, but more and more now. 35mm seems like a submiature. Right now, I use an Omega D2v and a SK Componon 135/5.6 and a SK Xenar 150/4.5.

A SK Componon 150/5.6 is available. Should I get the Componon 150 to replace the Xenar? The 150 is the one I use more often than the 135, so it would be my principle lens in that format.

I also have a Wollensak Velostigmat 162/4.5 that came with the enlarger. How does it compare to a Componon and Xenar?