[pure-silver] Re: AW: Re: Any advice for purchase of densitometer.

  • From: Sandy King <sanking@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 17:14:32 -0500

Ralph,

First, I don't find Pyro any trouble at all. In fact, because of the
long-term stability of the stock solutions of pyro developers, and
their very long shelf-life, I find them on the whole much easier to
use than other formulas that I might mix up myself, such as D76. If
you develop much film you will spend a lot of time mixing up D76,
while a liter of stock solution of either PMK or Pyrocat-HD, which
takes about the same time to mix as D76 as a liter of D76, provides
about 100 liters of working solution. And for a lot less cost as well.

As for image quality, I don't believe that any developer on the
market can provide better image quality, when we balance such things
as grain size, acutance and tonality, than pyro developers such as
PMK and Pyrocat_HD.

I came to pyro developers late but have been using them for about
15-18 years. I used PMK as my primary developer for about ten years
and then formulated Pyrocat-HD, which provides certain advantages for
my own needs, which are primarily printing with sheet film and
alternative processes.

One of the things that folks need to understand about negatives
developed in pyro staining developers, however, is that for printing
on VC papers the negative must be developed to a much higher contrast
than if printing on graded silver papers. I have found, for example,
that a PMK or Pyrocat-HD negative that will print well on a silver #2
graded paper will need a #4 or perhaps even a #5 VC filter to print
with the same effective contrast on VC papers.

Sandy