RE: PlexTalk-And-An-Intro?

  • From: "Jamie Cuthbertson" <jamie.cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:07:47 +0100

Hi Hart,

As John in a previous message said, it's best to take it one step at a time.
I'd recommend that you get fully used to the playback features of the Pocket
before moving on to recording.  Having said that, the recording process is
really straightforward once you've sorted out the basic concept.

Certainly from my perspective, the Plextalk Pocket is a great little
recorder which I've used in a variety of conditions and always with pretty
good results, so, as long as you don't have a faulty unit, you should be
able to get some good quality recordings, both from the built in microphone
and from an external microphone or line in source.  In particular for the
built in microphone, you obviously have to be careful not to move the unit
in your hand whilst recording otherwise the sound of this will transfer to
the recording.

feasible to reiterate the location of the keys every time they are mentioned
in the text otherwise the manual would significantly increase in size.
Also, for every person who wants this to happen, there would be other people
who find it cumbersome.  After all, there are not a vast number of keys on
the unit and, once you start using the Pocket regularly, you soon get to
know which key is which.

I'm guessing but the xylophone sound you describe is probably one of two
things.  It could be the unit's waiting sound.  Normally you hear this when
the unit is doing something or waiting for you to complete an action.  For
example, it might be waiting for you to press the Enter key to confirm an
action.  It could also be the error sound which normally occurs when you are
trying to press a key at a time when the key can't be used.  For example, if
you are in the process of changing from one folder to another, you will
probably find that pressing the Record key will result in a xylophone type
of sound because you can't start recording when you are in the process of
selecting a folder.  In either case, it is unlikely to indicate anything
serious, just that you can't use that key at that moment.

My suggestion would be to go back to the start of the manual and spend time
getting really familiar with the keys and what they are used for.  Remember
that some of the commands depend on a single press of a key and others
depend on a key being held down for them to work.  Another tip at this stage
is to use the Key Describer mode.  You can turn this on and off by pressing
and holding down the Menu key for around 5 seconds.  The Menu key is the key
immediately below the Power button.  Once the feature is active, you can
then press any key on the unit and it will describe its function.  To turn
this mode off again, simply press and hold down the Menu key again for
around 5 seconds.

When you do get round to recording, remember that the first press of the
Record button simply puts the unit into recording stand by mode.  A second
press starts the recording and a third press will pause recording again.
Each subsequent press of the Record button will either start recording or
pause recording.  When you want to stop recording, simply press the
Play/Stop button, which is the  largish, dimpled, circular button near the
centre of the unit.  Once recording has been stopped, pressing the Play/Stop
button again will start playback of the recording you have just made.

Hope this is of some help.

Jamie