RE: PTR2 Questions

  • From: "Jamie Cuthbertson" <jamie.cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 12:12:38 +0100

Keith,

I'll answer your questions in order.

1.  Yes you can record using standard CD-R or CD-RW discs.  What happens is
that the PTR2 will recognise the type of CD when it is inserted.  If you
insert a blank data CD, the PTR2 will ask you to prepare for DAISY recording
by pressing the Record key.  This means that whether you subsequently choose
to record in MP3 or WAV format, the resulting recording will be in DAISY
format.  You will, however, be able to lift the MP3 or WAV files out of the
relevant folders.  It is perfectly possible to record in WAV format when
creating a DAISY recording - the only drawback is that you won't get as much
recording time as you would with one of the MP3 options.

If you insert a blank audio CD, the PTR2 will automatically record in
standard music CD format (i.e. CDA) and the finished CD will play in
standard CD players.  One thing to bear in mind when using audio CDs, is
that you will not be able to edit the CD at all.  You get a one-of
opportunity to get the audio correct.

2.  Essentially, yes in terms of the action when you hold down the fast
forward or backward keys i.e. the rewind or fast forward speed will increase
as you hold down the key.  However, in terms of single presses of these keys
i.e. to jump forward or backwards, you will often get unpredictable results.
The reason for this is that, depending on how the MP3 file was created and
the type of audio in the MP3 file, there may not be gaps in the audio that
are sufficiently big to be seen as phrases.

I should also point out that the PTR2 can be set to operate in 2 modes when
using the forward and backward keys in single presses.  It can be set to
jump either phrases or time jumps of 5 seconds.  This is good because if you
are playing a music MP3 file where there are few gaps in the audio, the 5
second jumps allow you to still jump forward or back in the file.

3.  Yes, this is very easy.

4.  I think that the answer here is "it depends".  This is because it
depends on what kind of files you are talking about.  If you mean a DAISY
recording that is on the CF card, then it is straightforward to backup the
DAISY titles from CF card to a standard data CD (or indeed to a music CD).
However, if you are talking about general files such as MS Word or text etc
that you might have on a CF card, I don't think this is possible.

One other thing that you should be aware of is the issue of copyright.  The
PTR2 is copyright aware and, for example, if you have used the PTR2 to make
a legitimate copy of a music CD onto a CF card, the PTR2 will know that this
is a copy.  If you subsequently try to backup the audio from the CF card to
another music CD, it will do this OK but the original on the CF card will be
deleted at the same time.  This is because you are technically only allowed
to have one copy of the original CD at any one time, otherwise you are
getting into the realms of copyright theft etc, etc.  The PTR2 takes this
into account when doing a backup.

5.  No, I'm pretty sure that you can use cards of at least 16 GB and
possibly bigger than this though I've not got any personal experience of
these.

6.  I find it of pretty good quality though a lot depends on the quality of
the recording.  If you have a recording that is been made a low levels, and
have to turn the volume up a lot, it can get a bit distorted sounding.  If
you've got a good quality original and can keep the volume in the mid range,
it is very listenable.

I've just noticed Frank's reply so apologies for any duplication in this
answer.  Hope it helps.

Jamie