Need Help Installing PRS

  • From: Marilyn Dorn <marilyn.dorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PTR1 List Post <ptr1-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:13:21 -0700

Hi, gang!

I am trying to install the file that I downloaded of PRS Setup 2.02 onto an
XP Pro computer.  I have removed the PC card from the slot in the
PlexTalk.  I removed a book CD from the PlexTalk.  I have the PlexTalk
turned on and the USB cable plugged into the PlexTalk.  The computer is
running and at the desktop.  When I plug in the USB cable into the
computer, I get 3 quick beeps instead of the 2 beeps that indicate that it
recognizes the device plugged in.  The computer doesn't ask me to do
anything to let it know what I installed.

I run the PRS setup exe file, but it gives me the error that it can't find
the PlexTalk.  I have tried putting the CD I have of PRS 2.01 into the
computer and in the PlexTalk, neither works.  I have installed this before
on a Windows ME computer and not had this trouble.  Is it because this is
XP?  Can I not do this on an XP computer?  This is crazy.

I thought the computer might find the driver on the version 2.01 CD, but it
doesn't seem to want to do that.  I also tried using the add hardware
option in the control panel.  After going to the d drive and driver folder,
it says the software that is about to be installed has not passed a Windows
Logo test and that I should not continue.  Then, as if I'm not intimidated
enough yet, it says something, and I'm paraphrasing here, to the effect
that it could very well blow up my computer if I continue anyway.  For all
I know it might try to spoil the milk in my refrigerator.  Is this really a
problem, or is it Microsoft's way of trying to keep us from installing
other people's software?  Why can't installing software just be a
straightforward task?  Seems like I have to fiddle and troubleshoot
everything that I want the computer to do.  This is very
frustrating.  Maybe you could already tell.  As Charlie Brown says, "AArrgghh!"

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Marilyn