[pskmail] Problem sending national characters in e-mails from pskmail 1.5.x

  • From: "Peter Olsen" <petero@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:06:18 +0100

Dear pskmail Developers

I have tested the transmission of the danish national characters in
e-mails using jpskMail version 1.5.something.

It works OK from the web to the jpskMail client:

>Upper case character "AE" (Sort of combined A and E) displays as:"Æ"
Lower case character "ae" (Sort of combined a and e) displays as:"æ"
Upper case character "O/" (O with a slash through) displays as:"Ø" Lower
case character "o/" (o with a slash through) displays as:"ø" Upper case
character "AA" (A with a small circle above) displays as:"Å" Lower case
character "aa" (a with a small circle above) displays as:"å"

But it does not work very well from the Client to the web:

>PSKmail message from oz1qt@xxxxxxxxx
>From: oz1qt@xxxxxxxxx
>Upper case character "AE" (Sort of combined A and E) displays as:"Ã?"
Lower case character "ae" (Sort of combined a and e) displays as:"æ"
Upper case character "O/" (O with a slash through) displays as:"Ã?" Lower
case character "o/" (o with a slash through) displays as:"ø" Upper case
character "AA" (A with a small circle above) displays as:"Ã?" Lower case
character "aa" (a with a small circle above) displays as:"Ã¥"

I am running Ubuntu linux in english mode and a danish keyboard. When
editing a new e-mail in pskmail and pressing the danish characters on the
keyboard, they display correctly in the pskmail window.

Could this be an error in my setup or is this a jpskmail issue?

best regards,

Peter, OZ1QT.