[pskmail] Re: Problem sending national characters in e-mails from pskmail 1.5.x

  • From: Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2012 23:58:57 +0100

Hi Peter,

Great post, thanks.
To be honest I have focused on getting the swedish characters working.
I don't know if that is the issue here as you said it worked on receive
and that is where I have put the conversion. On transmit the problem is
probably somewhat bigger as the message is MIME coded only if there is
an attachment. When this project started we were using somewhat slower
modes only (PSK63) and anything but the core message had to be removed
in order to save bandwidth. That meant messages were transferred as raw
text only, we could then avoid all the MIME header spam and decrease the
message size. That's still where we are today, messages do not have
complete MIME headers and non ascii characters is a problem.

Doing complete MIME encoding will increase the message size, for the
common small message that could be even a 50% increase. I'll look into
what can be done, increasing the message size is not something I like
doing.

73 de Per, sm0rwo