[pskmail] Re: New beta for pskmail_puppy live CD

  • From: Per Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:57:49 +0200

mån 2007-08-27 klockan 10:44 +0200 skrev Rein Couperus:

> > Just wondering, is this distro good enough now? I mean, is there a
> > reason to explore
> > an ubuntu (or something else) remaster?
> > Personally I did not like puppy as it looked quite a lot like win 3.1x
> > and so I will
> > continue to use something else. But, thats just me.
> >

> This is not meant to be a "linux distro", and we should not 'sell' it like
> one.
> The target group for this is the windows user who just wants to run pskmail
> (or fldigi),
> and does not care about what OS is beneath it. That is what it does, and I
> hope
> it will be a bootstrap for people who want to explore linux at a later
> date...
> This CD (or USB stick) boots very fast as soon as you have saved your config
> once,
> and automatically saves your config data. I have some definite "customers"
> for this who
> have been trying to run pskail for a long time and did not succeed because of
> hardware
> restrictions.
>
> Another target group is the people with older computers with less than 512MB
> RAM which will not
> run ubuntu or Mandriva.
> This live version will run in RAM on a 192M machine.
>
> I think here is enough reason to upgrade to a 'real' linux:
> * The email client is rudimentary, no 'evolution', the email client on puppy
> is not mbox compliant.
> * No sendmail or postfix running
> * No support for ttyUSB0 (at least not for my USB/RS232 converter)
> * Puppy does not support every sound card, ubuntu is much better in this
> respect.
> e.g. puppy does not have a driver for Sis900, which is the sound chip in may
> chinese no-names...
>
> I think there is definitely room for a live CD based on UBUNTU or Mandriva.
> I would guess UBUNTU has the broadest manpower support at the moment.
>
> I will also issue statically precompiled releases in future after we have
> tested the stuff properly,
> making it much easier to install pskmail on a running linux distro. No more
> messing around with
> perl libraries and cpan, which is then reserved for co-developers :)
>
> Summing up  there could be 5 versions covering different user levels:
>
> 1.: Puppy- based live CD for windows laptops and older computers
> 2.: Puppy-based .iso image for use on vmware (also windows)
> 3.: UBUNTU-based live distro for laptops having 512 MB.
> 4.: Precompiled pskmail binaries for use on linux
> 5.: Perl source for developers
>
> 73,
>
> Rein PA0R

Thanks Rein,

I was merely thinking that perhaps this distro would be enough, was a
bit lazy there I admit, hi hi.

I know Ubuntu seems to be the most widely used distro today, it does
have a lot of missing features however. With that said I have looked at
remastering ubuntu or perhaps xubuntu and it seems pretty good so far.
Perhaps (x)ubuntu could be tweaked to cope with less amount of ram and
made to work on old hardware. Xubuntu has worked pretty good on my old
thinkpads anyway (p3-500), my wifes Compaq Armada is running Ubuntu at
the moment and she seems happier with that than Mandriva (she says its a
bit faster). I'll try to create a live test distro out of ubuntu for
starters.