[pskmail] Re: Navcomputer

  • From: Ian Bennett <ibennett@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 07:31:35 +1100

The server is normally at a QTH so there is ready access to a grunty PC and power to run the thing.

I would prefer the client on a Pi.

Ian

On 24/12/12 00:19, Gunnar Bulukin wrote:
Hi all,
Well this is for those that are using navcomputers onboard, maybe not a
pskmail thing (yet!?) but anyway.
I have been doing some tests with the new Raspberry Pi B (512Mb) because
I like the idea of having a small cheap unit to run a chart plotting
program.
Would that work?
Yes!!
I am using the following setup.
Raspberry Pi B ~$27
8GB SD card, with Debian for Raspberry
Keyboard, mouse.
HDMI cable and HDMI > VGA unit, VGA screen
BSBcharts
True Heading AIS Class B transponder for AIS targets and GPS position
set to 38400 baud
Aten U232A RS232 > USB
Chart program OpenCPN 3.0.2 (the beta 3.1.1220 I can not get the ttyUSB0
ports to work) (www.opencpn.org <http://www.opencpn.org>)
Gribprogram zyGrib (www.zyGrib.org <http://www.zyGrib.org>)
When the program is running it uses about 50%CPU.
If anyone is interested in this I can make (if I find out how) a clone
of a ready SDcard.
Maybe it is time to compile pskmail client and server for Raspberry Pi
73 de Gunnar