[pskmail] Re: More speed ?

  • From: "karel Fassotte" <karel.fassotte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:20:50 -0500

Per,
For several years now we are searching for implementations using 188-110a and b.
We know, for sure you do to that 12.800 b/s is possible via HF,
especialy 1hop propagation.
We have another implementation of the Mil 188-110a, made by charles
Brain, who integrated it in the PC-ALE implementation. We found out
that the modem did not function very well. The user interface for the
ALE is to cumbersome.

You know that we are researching possibilities for people in
developing countries to have internet access. One possiblilty for far
off regions is HF, very suitable because of its low operation costs.

PSK mail is one of the possiblities to get mail to the internet, but
is rather slow and attachments are out of the order.

The organisations we work with would like to send attachments of some
10KB to 20KB. No solution is available under Linux, nor Wine.

Per what about changing parameters of DRM to make it do the job. Up to
now its one of the fastest ways to transfer data.

greetings
Karel Fassotte
HC1AKP / PE2KFA

2006/11/22, Pär Crusefalk <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Hi all,

During the last few days I have been testing an implementation of
the MIL-STD 188-110A. Its called rfsm2400 and can be found here:
http://neurosis.hungry.com/~ben/radio/188-110/rfsm2400_v037.zip

Yes, its a windows exe but it does run under wine.

If you are wondering abt that mil std then its basically 3 kHz wide,
or slightly less for ham rigs (300 - 2700 Hz). Speed is normally 1200
bps or 2400 bps for the wider mode and 1000/2000 for ham rigs.
The author, a russian named Dmitry P, says he will open an IPC mechanism
such as the one we use for gmfsk. This means we have a new mode to test.
But, there are of course considerations here. He says he will probably
not open source it (GPL worries). And, its wide. Too wide for qrp most
probably.

I also looked at fldigi, which is found here:
http://www.w1hkj.com/Fldigi.html

I havent compiled and tested it yet but I am curious abt the PSK125 and
QPSK-125 modes. Any thoughts abt that ?