[pskmail] PSKMAIL - More Speed

  • From: radioral@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:00:24 -0500

 Hi to Per and the list,

 Still having fun here learning Linux and PSKMAIL. I have successfully
installed the server from the live CD install on my Thinkpad 600E and
have the sound working great. I can run the client on my Thinkpad but
have yet to get it installed. I still have to work on getting the
server PC on line and getting EMAIL, etc.

 Per, would it be possible to release a Live CD with Install  for the
Client? This would be a benefit to the Linux newcomers on the list.

 Great on playing with the new modes. I don't have any experience with
fldigi but have plenty of experience with PSK125 using MIXW in Windows.
My son and I have successfully communicated on a regular basis on both
2 Meters and 80 Meters using PSK125. PSK125 is not a whole lot less
sensitive than PSK63 or PSK31 but is more susceptible to static and
noise. If conditions are good, the text really flies. We usually send
prepared text files as neither of us can type that fast! I think it
would be worth trying.

 I also have some experience with PCALE and the Mil standard 188-110A
that you reference. The wide bandwidth is a factor with low power as
you mention. Also, be aware that the US FCC has a rule change effective
December 15, 2006 that will make digital modes greater than 500hz
illegal in the US (See the ARRL website). The order also extends phone
(SSB) all the way down to 3.600 Mhz. Unless the ARRL can get the rule
changed, digital modes will be 500hz and under in bandwidth and allowed
only below 3.600 Mhz.

 This might cause a surge of interest in PSKMAIl as one of the modes
affected is Pactor III.

 The ideal situation for PSKMAIL would be similiar to Pactor where
either the program or the operator can vary PSK speeds depending on the
band conditions. Christmas list.....?

 73

 Bob WD8QLY