[pskmail] Re: Bleeding edge software...

  • From: John Douyere <vk2eta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pskmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:38:46 +1100

Rein,

Your point about this test version not being compatible with the
mainstream Fldigi is correct. This was not the intent.

The RSID numbers are not wrong, they are simply not separate enough
from other codes not to interfere. This will only be corrected in the
release version.

So for example the slow psk modes (psk31 and psk63) will decode as
PSRK modes. But it will work with the speeds above 63 which is what we
use for Pskmail.

Regarding the Multipsk compatibility, the "Robust" modes (PSKXXXR) are
NOT compatible as I have an interleaver while the PSK63F version does
not.

I am moving in the following direction at present: only implement
PSK125R, PSK250R and PSK500R, plus, if Dave is happy with that, add
PSK63F for compatibility with Multipsk. The logic being that PSK63R
would be too slow for PSKMail application (psk31 data speed), so to
avoid a plethora of modes with little utilisation I think these three
robust modes will be enough. The difference between the "F" modes and
the "R" mode is the addition of an interleaver for the "R" modes.

Comments welcomed.

Regarding the THOR mode issue that is my fault as I left some test
code in there. I will send you the rectified version.

This is the reason why I am now going through the Fldigi development
system to avoid these kinds of embarrassing "backward steps", even if
it is a test version.

Regards,

John (VK2ETA)