[projectaon] Re: Souvenir font?

  • From: Michael Terry <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 09:50:01 -0400

Aha! There is another font, called Sunset, which looks identical to
Souvenir. It's sold by a different foundry with much more reasonable terms.

http://www.fontspring.com/fonts/fontsite/sunset

Their web license is unmetered and only costs $30 for the whole Sunset
family.

I'm asking them if I can get a break on the $300 app license cost for my
app. But $30 seems reasonable for the main site. At least in comparison. :)

-mt

On Saturday, 1 August 2015, Michael Terry <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So technically anyone can make a new Souvenir font if they create it from
scratch from the original designs. But I *suspect*, given the difficulty
involved in making a digital font (kerning and all that jazz), that most
downloads of the font are really downloads of ITC's version, which is not
technically freely distributable.

I don't think they crack down that hard, obviously. But still.

You can buy web licenses for the font from myfonts.com [1] or fonts.com
[2] which even has a free tier (up to 25k views a month, plus you have to
display a web badge -- I don't know if 25k is a lot or not; probably not?).

[1] http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/itc/souvenir
[2] http://www.fonts.com/font/itc/itc-souvenir

-mt

On 1 August 2015 at 06:30, narcisse chauvin <beaulaidxx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How about this?
http://fontzone.net/font-details/souvenir

It's a TTF, which means that the text will just be rendered in the
default font for users who don't have it.
--R

Sent from iphone / Inviato da iphone / Lähetetty iphonesta / Envoyé par
iphone / Enviado por iphone

That's a cute thought. I looked into it a bit.

Souvenir the design (back when fonts were actual collections of metal)
is from 1914 and thus itself out of copyright.

But the digital version we all know is by the ITC font foundry in the
60s. That is still covered by copyright and not freely distributable. So
the project would have to pay for a web license to the font.

There is a look alike font by Corel called Southern. Which also seems
to cost money.

I couldn't find a free version. :(

-mt

The following was sent from the Project Aon contact form
From: Narcisse beaulaidxx@xxxxxxxxx
Date: 05:31:29 on Thursday, July 23, 2015
Subject: Souvenir font?

Hi,

This is very random, but-- Is there any way the online Lone Wolf
books could be rendered in the Souvenir font?

This is the font in which all the books were originally published.
Maybe I'm the only one, but the 'nostalgia factor' would be greatly
increased by seeing the text in the original font.

Thanks!