[projectaon] Re: Question about the Beaver releases.

  • From: Andrew Thornton <secretelf77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 11:05:46 +1000

Thanks for that. The 2 player option for a gamebook is a rare game system. The only other instance that comes to mind is that I think that Jackson/Livingstone may have tried it in a one-off book but the title is just a vague book cover somewhere in the 1980's.

I spent the 1980's reading just about every gamebook on the planet. I borrowed from libraries so I don't have many copies. I didn't read that many Lone Wolf books because by chance it was the last series that I found before I became too busy with study [Macbeth etc all of the dreadful stuff that you are forced to study in high school etc..ugh] . I liked Lone Wolf. I did.

Some verdicts I say this having read A LOT of gamebooks in the 1980's. You would shudder if you knew how many hours I spent.

Best gamebook: Warlock of Firetop Mountain [Jackson/Livingstone] . Meeting "Wifey" in the canal should be an essential part of every gamer's experience :)

Most original Game system: Legends of Skyfall series. Coin tossing and you can solve each book without a single fight if you use imagination/intelligence. Honourable mentions go to the Falcon Series with its hero points, and that series of Starlight adventures that involved what star sign someone was. Lone Wolf also gets a mention - a random number table is pretty good.

Best gamebook monster: Ganjees from Citadel of Chaos. Those critters...:)

Best ending: Creature of Havoc.

Most disappointing series: Brennan's Firewolf advanced gamebooks. Tacky combat system. Boring plots. Honourable[?] mention goes to the Kirillian series that was stupid.

Most educational series: that Greek historical series whose name I have forgotten where you chose a Greek deity patron.

Andrew

Andrew

On 15/09/2013 1:03 AM, O'Toole, Laurence (2000) wrote:
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply.

[Combat Heroes]
There were 4?
Yes, although it might help to think of them as two pairs, rather than four
separate books. If you have your book (Scarlet Sorcerer) and Emerald Enchanter,
then you can play a 2-player game with a friend. Ditto Black Baron and White
Warlord. But each book also has a self-contained solo adventure.

So Joe gave you the rights to cover some things like that outside
of Lone Wolf?
Yes. Aside from the above, the licence also explicitly covers a few other
things like the Grey Star adventures (under the title 'World of Lone Wolf') and
the Freeway Warrior series (although only the first of these has been released
so far.)

I *think* everything is listed on the 'Books' page:
http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Books

Cerulean