[projectaon] Re: Fwd: <>--- HEROES & VILLAINS ---<>

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 22:12:26 +0000

Jonathan Blake wrote:
Any creative ideas? :)

I was thinking of knocking together a short essay on the impact of the PAJ covers on the series as a whole. Before the Red Fox editions, there was no consistent style of cover artwork for the Lone Wolf Books (in the UK at least; I can't speak for elsewhere). The PAJ covers added a definite identity to the series, and married the gamebooks and the Legends together as complementary series. They also provided a greater level of "maturity" (I know, I know, I hate the term too) to the series, which seemed no longer aimed squarely at the childrens' market (bringing it into line with the text of the later gamebooks and novels, which are definitely aimed at an older audience).

I would make this case particularly in reference to Book 13 (the first PAJ cover for LW), Book 9 (an absolutely stunning cover), and Book 18 (tying that cover into PAJ's more recent landscape work of Shropshire).

Any thoughts? I am particularly a fan of PAJ's artwork (have been since I saw the cover for the original 1982 "The Warlock of Firetop Mountain"), but I'm not sure whether other Lone Wolf fans have the same fondness for his covers, particularly any non-UK editions of the books. (Personally, I find the US editions to be absolutely dire, but I know many people seem to favour them, for example!)

Could we possibly do a quick straw poll of who likes the PAJ covers and who doesn't? This may be better done via the forum, if that's any help.

Other comments/ideas are also welcome, of course.