[projectaon] Re: Errata Sprint Addendum #8 -- Welcome Back, Jon!

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 23:14:38 +0100

On 26/07/2011 19:37, Jonathan Blake wrote:
Without the benefit of reading any previous discussion, my reactions:

And mine. :-)

Items that are not fully resolved have been marked ** to make it easy to spot them.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Simon Osborne<outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

HIGHWAY HOLOCAUST

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/fw/01hh/title.htm>

[bk: Also, I hate to open another can of worms, but I was going back through
the series, and the author's inconsistent in how he refers to Interstate
highways in the first 2 books but quite consistent in the last 2 books.
Specifically, an Interstate should never just be referred to as "Freeway X".
"Interstate X" is preferred, "Interstate Freeway X" is acceptable, but
"Freeway X" when referring to an Interstate is just wrong.]

This is a tough issue because while these roads are officially
designated "Interstate XXX", I'm used to people referring to the roads
in my area colloquially like "the freeway", "Highway XXX", "the XXX",
or "I-XXX". I'm not used to them referring to them as "Freeway XXX",
but was this done because British readers would be confused by
"Interstate XXX"? (Like I was by "gaoler"?!)

** As Ben points out, the usage is both non-standard and inconsistent. Although I'm British-speaking, I would agree with making this change. "Interstate" isn't really any different to "freeway" inasmuch as I use neither of them. ;-) It is clear from the context what Interstate is referring to, anyway, so there should be no confusion.

01hh 37: Every little helps ->  Every bit helps (or Every little bit helps)
[bk: Cal Phoenix is supposed to be from California.  I'm writing this from
California, and I think Jon would agree from neighboring Nevada that this
isn't accurate dialect for the Western US.]

Does anyone actually say "every little helps"? As an bona fide
Southwesterner :) I agree that "Every little bit helps" sounds best to
me.

As David points out, TESCO uses it, but they're a supermarket and have no say in the matter. Fixed! (Speaking of supermarkets...or should I say, megamarkets...?)

SLAUGHTER MOUNTAIN RUN
(er)    190:    bang ->  <i>bang</i>

Bang can definitely be an onomatopoeia. It's one of the most cited
examples. I think it works here, though I'm not sure it would work in
every case.

** OK, Fixed. What about 01hh: 167; 02smr: 236, 275; and 03toz: 183, 226 ?

THE DARKE CRUSADE

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/15tdc/title.htm>

(er)    208:    who, or what, ->  who--or what--
[so: Also affects 02tfc 16.]

That makes the aside stand out better with the other commas happening
in that sentence. In 02tfc, the commas seem to work OK.

Fixed in 15tdc; Rejected in 02tfc.

THE FALL OF BLOOD MOUNTAIN

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/26tfobm/title.htm>

(er)    The Story So Far [x3], 58, 82, 109 [x2], 129 [x2], 135, 170 [x2],
178 [x2], 207, 218, 226, 236, 242, 250 [x3], 254, 280 [x2], 315 [x2], 323
[x2], 346:  throne chamber ->  Throne Chamber

I'm tempted to go the other way. It doesn't seem to be used as a
proper noun in most cases, except when it's named "the Throne Chamber
of Andarin". In the cases where "Throne Room" by itself is
capitalized, maybe we should add the "of Andarin". I'd also capitalize
cases of "Throne Chamber of Bor".

That's...brilliant! Fixed tssf: "throne chamber of Bor -> Throne Chamber of Bor"; and 41/294: "Throne Chamber -> Throne Chamber of Andarin" only.

War Thane(s) vs. War-Thane(s) vs. War-thane(s)

[so: cf. "Inquisitor-Major ->  Inquisitor-major" in Book 23, etc.]

I've seen this handled in many ways, so I think we just need to
establish a standard and stick to it. For example, we use
"Lord-lieutenant" in 02fotw, but I've seen it "Lord Lieutenant" in
real life. Other real life examples which seem fairly standardized
include "Governor-General" and "Inspector General" while "Attorney
General" is sometimes "Attorney-General". It seems like we're bucking
the trend by uncapitalizing the second word though.

Thoughts?

** In the past, we have been going with Upper-lower (e.g. Chaos-master, Inquisitor-major, Lord-lieutenant). While this may be a little idiosyncratic, I'd be inclined to continue using this standard in the remaining books as an overall style that we have adopted. (Else, we should go back and reverse all changes we have made, which sounds very un-fun.) I'd personally, therefore, go with "War-thane", but I'm open to suggestions.

(er)    197:    more than half of his army are ->  more than half of his army
is
[so: Let's leave this to Jon to arbitrate.]

Since it could go either way with no strong bias toward one or the
other, we have been leaving these as originally printed.

I'm sold. Rejected!

THE HUNGER OF SEJANOZ

<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/28thos/title.htm>

(er)    The Story So Far:       with heavy heart ->  with a heavy heart [Sean
Donald]

I'm used to hearing in either way. Leave as-is.

Ditto. Rejected. Good! :-)

THE CHASM OF DOOM

(er) 34: The creature is flooded with golden light ->  The chamber is flooded
with golden light
[so: Might as well get this resolved ASAP. If we do change this, also change
"its" to "the creature's" in the subsequent sentence.]

Interesting. It does seem a little odd though I don't think it is
strictly incorrect. Dictionary.com lists one meaning of "flood" as "to
overwhelm with an abundance of something". I'd leave it as-is.

Yeah, I had an inkling this was OK, but I thought I'd defer to the returning (and, presumably, refreshed) project Coordinator. ;-)

OK, that's good. Many resolutions; still discussing use of Interstate (01hh, 02smr), War-Thane (26tfobm), and onomatopoeic uses of "bang" (01hh, 02smr, 03toz).

I will update the xml and the online editions tomorrow...it's too late to start with that now. Besides, we might have resolutions for the others things too by tomorrow morning (BST). Hey, I can dream! :-p