[projectaon] Re: Chasm of Doom Mines and Vision [collated replies]

  • From: Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:08:49 +0000

On 21/02/2010 14:50, David Davis wrote:
A tiny tip (although maybe it's just my browser not supporting this): the
JPEG's were interlaced,
so they do that "fading in bit by bit" thing, rather than scrolling in from the
top as they download
(so impatient readers get to see them ever so slightly quicker)

It can be done if necessary, though none of the other map PNGs are interlaced, so that's a lot of re-saving and re-re-uploading... ;-)

On 21/02/2010 18:39, Nicholas Jankowski wrote:
also noticed that (at least for the first one) the PNG filesize is
about 4-5x the JPG. Not sure if that is a concern.

On 21/02/2010 19:36, Ingo Kloecker wrote:
On Sunday 21 February 2010, David Davis wrote:
Well this is because JPEGs used lossy compression and throw half the
info away ;)
Admittedly, Simon's workflow here isn't exactly getting all that info
back...

In fact, Simon's workflow doesn't get any of the lost information back.
All his workflow does is reduce the impact of the lost information. (I'm
a mathematician. I talk such nonsense all the time. ;-) )

Quite. Once the information is lost, it's lost. All the tools that I used do is hide the worst effects of the data loss. :-\

Why/When did we decide to replace the JPEGs by PNGs? Is the much larger

For at least a year since the release of Wolf's Bane in February 2009. Keep up,
Ingo. ;-)

size suddenly no problem anymore? A lot of people still have very slow
Internet connections. We, the people with high-speed Internet
connections, keep forgetting that not everybody has the luxury of fast
downloads.

A couple of reasons, including the digital manipulation of certain maps to alter the labels. Multiple generations of JPG compression creates very noticeable artefacting. For those with low bandwidth, the options to download the ZIP for offline reading or to play the graphics-free single-page edition are both acceptable alternatives, IMO.

The ultimate goal is to rescan the maps and present them in a non-lossy format without ever having been saved as JPG. Yes, the images are larger, but they are/will be superior. Why settle for second best? Don't the PNGs also work better for PDF conversion?