RE: quick java question

  • From: Alex Parks <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:54:49 -0500

Okay, thanks! I will attach the .java file to an email and send it to you privately. It will save my poor cs professor from answering all my questions and give me a new perspective. Thanks again.

Have a great day,
Alex

From: "Suzanne Balik" <spbalik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:00:11 -0500 (EST)

You can use the Scanner class to do what you want to do easily,
if you're
using Java 5.0.  For example,

Scanner sc = new Scanner(System.in);
if (sc.hasNextInt())
 int value = sc.nextInt();

Suzanne Balik

NC State University      EB II 2318    (919)515-5617

We?ll take a cup o? kindness yet, for auld lang syne.
                                      --Robert Burns

Do a search for
Try catch tutorial
Try statements and catch clauses are the way to go if you are
going to
seriously work with java.

From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 07:07:27 -0500

If you're expecting an integer, then you can do

Integer.parseInt(aString)

That will throw a NumberFormatException if it isn't a number.

Take care,
Sina