narrator and jaws

  • From: "tribble" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <blind-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 18:44:02 -0500

Hi all -- I started a thread on this on the jawslite list but no one could
solve the problem and the consensus was that I should wait till Wednesday
and call FS. But I am hoping someone here could make a few more suggestions.

I am trying to get the display chain problem with jaws fixed, wich broke
after I installed an update to windows live messenger. I have jaws8 on that
machine, and never had a problem before.
I tried running the display chain manager on the tools menu of jaws but it
failed saying it couldn't find something or other.
I the tried repairing jaws but that also failed.  Since I didn't have speech
and my sighted family members weren't around, I tried running narrator as
jaws was silent after I restarted from the repair. To run narrator I went to
the run dialog on the start menu and type narrator and enter.  To my
surprise, narrator didn't speak, but jaws came up with the same eloquence
voices and rate as jaws and most but not all of the jaws commands worked.
I thought narrator was completely separate from jaws, so I ran narrator on
my other laptop to see what it did. It came up with that slow draggy SAPI
voice we are all familiar with, not jaws.

So what could be causing the problem and how can I fix it?
I really don't know if this scrambling of my system was the result of
installing WLM or whether it is some kind of malware, but I'm hoping it is
repairable without reinstalling windows.

Any pointers welcome! Thanx
--le