Re: making asp.net menu control accessible

  • From: "Ricks Place" <OFBGMail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 06:42:23 -0400

Hi:
The two main asp.net controls used are the Menu and TreeView controls. This is because the Site Manager can just change one line of code in a xml file called the SiteMap and have the Menu or TreeView change reflected on all pages in the Site. So, Using these Standard controls and making them work well would seem to be the best overall method. Teddy, when you build your TreeView, add the appropriate level numbering as a prefix or suffex to the node text and you have a nice, accessible control. I like the Dynamic DropDown nature of the Menu Control but it's messy at best so far with a Screen Reader. If I arrow to a top-level tab, route themouse there it expands, looks great, and on an otherwise blank page I can amouse up and down the list. If, however, there is other text or controls on the same line as the DropDown items WE will change focus to the first readable item and the Menu's Dropdown List is collapsed. I could extend the time before it collapses giving time for screen reader users to get to the list to click but have not tried that yet since I'm considering using a TreeView as I mentioned in place of the Menu control, or offer it as an option to WE and JAWS etc... users. I looked at the Menu using the Unordered List but reading 4 lines of numbers to determine position for every single link was a pain so I decided not to use that. There are many, many ways to style the Menu and TreeView controls to make them work well with a Screen Reader, just will take some experimentation to find the fastest WE friendly method. I'm guessing the TreeView with standard outlining level numbers or other level indication would be the easiest control to set up but I like the dynamic nature of the hover dropdown of the Menu Control so will keep using that until I either give up and offer a selection for WE users or just a TreeView with Auto features like auto-collapse and, perhaps, expand when hovered over or on the Page Load event for collapsing it. I just got my initial site up and running on the net and will be having some folks take a peek and make suggestions. I'm too busy to spend much time on this end of things but will try and make a couple accessibility changes on the weekends. Teddy and other programmers, I'll send you the code and SiteMap for the controls if you want it so you can work on building a good WE friendly control as well.
Rick Farmington Mich. USA
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jennifer Sutton" <jsuttondc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>