RE: Which Linux + screen reader to choose?

  • From: Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:56:31 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Chris Meredith wrote:

Couple of questions:

1.  Does SpeakUp work with any USB speech synthesizers?  I'm wanting to set up
a Linux notebook, and finding them with RS/232 ports appears to be ...
interesting.

Not sure... linux-speakup.org should tell you the supported synths...
I didn't think so though. You could try the speakup list too... what synth do you have?

2.  You use Espeak with ... Rockbox?  Have they gone away from using voice
prompts stored as files and moved to actual realtime voicing of prompts?

No, I just use espeak to record my voice clips... I write my own patches so build my own voices... Espeak is the best voice I have since I do everything from my linux box...

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
<d.dalton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>